Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Enter Shikari "The Mindsweep" (Hopeless / Ambush Reality)


When I first heard Enter Shikari it was 2007 and their debut album, "Take to the Skies", was about to come out.    I often wonder whether or not I still have that advanced CD with no artwork in my collection or if it was lost in one of my many moves since that time.    It doesn't really matter I suppose because I haven't really listened to that album in the eight years or so now that it's been out since back then but to see Enter Shikari still around and putting out one of the first new albums of 2015 got me interested enough to give it a listen.

All I remember about Enter Shikari is that they were a hardcore band- the singing and screaming kind- that encorporated bits of electronic music into their sound and while that might seem more common place now it was actually not as much when I first heard them.    This music still stays true to those roots as there are elements of screaming that bring out the inner Reach the Sky or Shut Down and at other times it's just overall dreamy.

I did expect some elements of Linkin Park to come out, as that seemed somewhat inevitable, but this electronic hardcore music also sounds like The Prodigy at times and I'm not sure how that happened but it's cool.   There are also moments of "Paranoid Android" era Radiohead which is just enough depth to make it so that you don't have to be ashamed to listen to this one.

Due to time restraints I am by no means saying that I'm going to go back and listen to every album by Enter Shikari but I am more likely to do that now than I was before I heard "The Mindsweep".     I'm actually also pretty likely to search for some live videos of Enter Shikari on YouTube now because I want to witness the sea of people moving in unison to the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment