Friday, May 8, 2015

go nogo "New Folks Remixed" (Emerald and Doreen)


[https://soundcloud.com/emerald-and-doreen-rec/sets/go-nogo-new-folks-remixed-ep]

I had never heard the go nogo song "New Folks" before this EP and as it turns out, the original mix is not on here but rather there are three different remixes of it and two remixes of other songs by go nogo.     The first remix of "New Folks" is by Mal Holmes and so in some ways I do like to think of that as being the original, although I have since tracked down the original and listened to it.     Perhaps because I heard it first though it just kind of became somewhat normal to me, yet it is still a good song.

The second remix is by Ummagma and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't listening to this EP just to hear this Ummagma remix.     If you've never heard Ummagma you're really missing out, but if you have heard them before then it would seem as if you should add this remix to your collection.     Oddly, the third remix is by Go Satta, who I am not really familiar with but has other music on Emerald and Doreen that I will be listening to now because I really liked this remix.    I think going in I knew I'd enjoy the Ummagma mix- which I did- but I had no expectations for any of the other mixes and as such Go Satta just blew me away.

"Let It Show" is remixed by Statickman in a complete pull from the 1980's/The Wedding Singer soundtrack.   I love it.   It's so Human League.    But then the last remix, which is of "Sweet Lullaby" and is by Haioka, is slower, more drawn out in an electronic sense with big beats in the background.    I don't know if there is a proper term for this, so I apologize but you know how rappers figured out that their music would sound cool if they slowed it down and they called it "screwed"?  Does that term apply to electronic music as well?   Because I feel like that's what Haioka is doing and it's simply wonderful.

So this isn't really an EP by go nogo because all of the songs on here are remixed, though the originals are by go nogo.    And there are five different artists having their go at these songs, and the fact that the first three remixes are of the same song by go nogo doesn't seem to matter as each track stands out just as well on its own.   Whatever you call it, you should be listening to this one for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment