Tuesday, March 31, 2015

SBSR: Tape Runs Out "Friends / Flowers" (Ear to Ear Records)


[http://www.taperunsout.co.uk/ // http://www.eartoearrecords.com/]

<1> "Friends" -  We begin with quiet whirrs that seem to be building to something big.   Guitar notes like FNL now and we're going into full on dreampop/bliss mode.   There is a certain rhythm to this, as it is rock and post-punk and other sounds all combined.   The vocals are somewhat monotone and bass-filled.   They are complemented rather nicely by the backing of the female vocals, adding more of just sounds than words.    There is certainly a nice rhythm to this and I can't quite place what it sounds like in terms of other bands but that's okay.   It goes into this verse that ends with the line "I was not your friend" and the song just ends right there as well.   To say that it cuts off somewhat abruptly would be an understatement but I can pull out any number of cliches about leaving them wanting more and how less is more sometimes, etc. so I don't mind that it does that because then I usually just hit play again if I don't have it on repeat already.    I'm stuck between thinking of something from the 1980's or early 1990's to compare this with and then something more modern, like you would have heard on the radio within the past five or so years.    It's got me thinking Men Without Hats and The Killers, but neither of those seem fitting.   Perhaps the best compromise vocally at least is Interpol but even then you need to hear this song still.

<2> "Flowers" - Our second f-song begins with something like an audio clip and piano notes.  I can't tell if it's birds or people talking only sped up.    It's an interesting effect that Blue October might have used.   The drums come in next with the rest of the band but the drums still stick out the most here.    The words are a cross between singing and speaking, which brings my mind of musical influences back to Blue October again.    It's very solemn, very serious feeling.   When it kicks in I hear something between post-punk and shoegaze.   Is there a comparison point for this with another direct band?   Probably not.    The guitar note pattern cuts at me as the vocals hypnotize.   The background female vocals seem to be luring you to sleep, or at least furthering the hypnotic state this puts me in.    The music reminds me a bit of Thursday in that post-punk way but the vocals don't match it so it does create a rather unique sound.    It's slowing down, back to where we started and it has a definite FNL sound to it now.    I can't peg it down still, but these are two most excellent songs which will certainly lead to more awesomeness from Tape Runs Out.   I also feel like they might have been living up to their name at the end of this song here.

No comments:

Post a Comment