Wednesday, February 18, 2015

California X "Nights in the Dark" (Don Giovanni)


California X are a band that makes you think about California and the wonderful weather of the west coast.    I don't know myself why it is exactly, but I've had this conversation with a number of people before (some of them as band interviews) and there is just something about growing up on the east coast and dreaming of moving to California because it's all bright and sunny skies and not... Well, if you're in New England look out your window.

The big guitar rock sound of California X reminds me of something between Weezer and Piebald but also has that similar Featherface appeal which I do enjoy so much.     It's fuzzy, yet it's rock n roll at its finest.     Some Replacements come out but I also like to think of this as from that same sort of genre that made Bill and Ted want to save the universe.  (Wyld Stallyns rule!!)

A perfect fit on the "Mallrats" soundtrack or just out in the sun California X is the feeling we all long for of perfect weather and even those who do have still want to sing about it.   Snow might be taking over outside right now as I type this, but you can at least have a warmer weather state of mind by listening to "Nights in the Dark".

No comments:

Post a Comment