Thursday, February 12, 2015

Raphi Gottesman "Signed, Noisemaker" (fluere tapes)


[$5 to Download // SOLD OUT on cassette // https://flueretapes.bandcamp.com/album/signed-noisemaker]

This was sent to me as a download and I am reviewing it as such because the cassette version of it sold out rather quickly from what I gather.    As I came to find via Bandcamp this is on a label called Fluere Tapes which has released music by Grand Mal, Strange Mountain and a cloudsound cassette I thought I was getting once upon a time, but anyway it is in good company so the fact that this artist reached out to me coupled with the company this release keeps has me interested before I even listen to it.

The music on "Signed, Noisemaker" is quiet and of the FNL variety.   There are mostly guitar notes played with a trumpet on the first song and piano notes later on (some of which have that church organ vibe)   It's calm, serene and soothing but not enough to put you to sleep.   Sometimes a song such as "Older Than Ferns", the last song, can even remind me of The Cancer Conspiracy.

Overall this seems to grow more solemn from start to finish, almost as if to make the end result- a transition into nothingness because it's over- feel like that much easier to take.    This might not be available on cassette any more but you should still listen to this and keep your ear to the ground for Raphi Gottesman who is sure to do more beautiful things following this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment