Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Sylvia Monnier / Class of 69 split (supermalprodelica)


[€5 for Cassette // €7 to Download // https://supermalprodelica.bandcamp.com/album/sylvia-monnier-class-of-69-split]

I was a big fan of Sylvia Monnier's cassette "Lucinda's River" and as such I wanted to hear this one.    It's on a label from Paris though, so I'm sort of okay with just hearing the digital for now but eventually I will probably buy this on cassette if I can because it is rather good.

Sylvia Monnier has two tracks and the first begins with a ringing bowl hum.   There is guitar distortion in the background and then tones like a dialtone begin to beep as well.   Is it cliche to call it tone drone?    How about electronic ambient?   With space laser whirrs come record scratches and then tones begin to drop like gems, to borrow a phrase.     There is an eerie mystique to the next set of tones which come through will full on beats.

From here, Monnier shifts into a long stretch of drone which can only ever remind me of the opening to The Who's "Baba O'Riley" (just sit back, close your eyes and think about it)   Some whirrs come in with sonic lasers before it's over and then it ends on some banging for good measure.

This is my first time hearing Class of 69 and while I was in this split for Sylvia Monnier I must say that Class of 69 is more than just filler.    There is a lot of sharp ringing on repeat, cymbal rim taps and then it just seemingly grows louder until that Jay Peele bowl playing feel comes out.    It's somewhere between angels and ghosts before the change to sonar which reminds me of a submarine.    My point is only further proved by the beeping that presents itself as the sounds begin to come through in waves.

The beeping becomes more distant as the signal is seemingly growing lost and then the sounds of Jay Peele come back before all is said and done.    This split really had me because of the involvement of Sylvia Monnier but Class of 69 makes this a must have cassette.

No comments:

Post a Comment