Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The Dreaming "Rise Again"


I loved Stabbing Westward and still do to this very day.    The Dreaming is "former members" of Stabbing Westward but, yeah, this sounds exactly like them so I think it's only different in its name.     The thing about Stabbing Westward though is that they haven't had new music since 2001 which was fourteen years ago.   i see them as a 1990's band (even though their last release came in early 21st century) and having them take that break between then and new music (though under a new name) leaves this questionable.

Don't get me wrong: I love these songs.   They are the shot of adrenaline that music needs right now.   For a new generation, a younger bunch of music listeners who have perhaps not heard of Stabbing Westward before, this will be great for them.   But any time an aritst puts out a new album it's always a question of why listen to the new one when I have the old one which I've grown fond of and have had for so long already.

For The Dreaming they're working at an uphill battle because I've had some of those Stabbing Westward albums for longer than most people who might need to hear this one have been alive.    So, yes, I might go to Stabbing Westward more than not but sometimes I will try and slip "Rise Again" into the mix because I still see it as a Stabbing Westward album.

No comments:

Post a Comment