Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Father John Misty "I Love You, Honeybear" (Bella Union / Sub Pop)


This is my second time hearing Father John Misty and I seem to recall the previous release "Fear Fun" coming with a lot of hype but me reducing it to simply being a mix of folk and psychedelic rock.    While this remains true on "I Love You, Honeybear" some other qualities are here that either weren't on "Fear Fun" or I was just eager to overlook them.

To say that this is folk meets psych is not quite a combination I've heard before but you can easily enough take bands from either side and put them together to get the general idea.   Or you could just imagine EFS if he had written an album that was explained to him in a dream by Jim Morrison, Jerry Garcia and John Lennon.

What I like most about this album that has an overall acoustic feel of melody to it though are perhaps the lyrics.   Having a chorus with the hook of "people are boring" makes me smile, and yet the other songs tend to tell stories of adolesence and sexual encounters.   That isn't to say that these are your traditional folk songs though, as there are a lot of f-bombs so they seem to have that dirty pirate tale feel to them.  (I believe one did reference a eunich slut)

A foul-mouthed Simon & Garfunkel (?), Father John Misty creates the type of songs that seem safe on the surface but deep down are found on records that kids would have to hide under their beds from parents.     And that is in a much more direct way than most of those artists like The Who and Hendrix who had implied lyrics and Father John Misty just flat out sings about being drunk and stoned.

No comments:

Post a Comment